CHARIS – The St. Louis Women’s Chorus
CHARIS (kārĭs), of Greek origin, meaning grace & kindness; a member of the Charities, goddesses representing the most favorable qualities of women.
CHARIS is a diverse group of women united in our mission to perform music that celebrates and encourages women and the LGBTQ community.
We see ourselves as an instrument of change in the St. Louis area, focused on promoting greater understanding and equality for women and the LGBTQ community. We also envision a future of organizational stability and financial sustainability for the chorus through:
- The number and diversity of our singing members
- The musical ability and performance level of the chorus
- Our non-singing volunteer base
- Our loyal audience members
- Revenue from donations, sponsorships and advertising
- Within the LGBTQ community and the St. Louis community at large
- By strengthening existing partnerships and developing new collaborations
- By revitalizing our commitment to address women’s issues and matters of social justice and civil rights for the LGBTQ community
CHARIS is a family, a sisterhood that shares the following values:
- We are dedicated to the success of the chorus and the welfare of our members.
- We are motivated to foster understanding through the messages we voice in song.
- Laughter is part of every practice, concert and social gathering.
- Quick wit and good-natured joking are valued and get us through tough times.
- We encourage members to reach their personal goals while pursuing the collective musical/performance objectives of the chorus.
- We continue to challenge ourselves and are proud to meet those expectations.
- This is a safe environment for all women to connect through music and friendship.
- Every voice is heard; our different talents and perspectives are appreciated.
- Primarily a lesbian chorus, we welcome all who identify as a woman.
- We are a non-audition chorus that supports each singer’s musical development.
- We are unique individuals, but at our core, we are women of character, courage, determination and strength.